The Rental Housing Tribunal, whose services are free, is aimed at promoting stability by resolving disputes between tenants and landlords in residential dwellings, flats, houses, shacks, back rooms, outbuildings, apartments and hostel rooms. Apart than resolving disputes through mediation and hearings, the tribunal will investigate complaints, educate tenants and landlords about their rights and obligations and provide advice and information regarding lease agreements.
Unfair practices in the rental housing sector include:
• changing locks, forced entry and obstruction of entry
• non-payment of rent;
• maintenance and damage to property;
• eviction and intimidation;
• damage to property, demolitions and conversions;
• tenant activities and tenants committees;
• municipal services, overcrowding and health matters; and
• reconstruction and refurbishment work.
Tenants, landlords, institutions, bodies corporate and tenants associations may lodge complaints at their offices.
Postal Address: Rental Housing Tribunal, Private Bag x 5005, Kimberley, 8300
Phone: +27 53 830 9455Admin Mail:100% Local: No