A fascinating and very informative historical walk that spans the City Centre and the Kimberley North suburb.
Sites such as where the first traffic lights in Kimberley were erected, the Executioner’s Yard, the pretty Victorian Kimberley Station, Cecil Rhodes’ De Beers Mining Company Boardroom and another big hole in Kimberley, the De Beers Mine, are visited.
The walk commences at the Savoy Hotel which opened its doors in 1892. Some 41 authentic sites are visited and the walk follows a four kilometre trail. A detailed guide book on the walk written by a well known Kimberley-based tourist guide is on sale at the Savoy Hotel.
POINTS OF INTERESTS ALONG THE WALK
1. Savoy Hotel.
2. Siege Buildings.
3. Traffic Lights.
4. Market Square.
5. The Market Shelter.
6. The Kimberley City Hall.
7. Electric Street Lights.
8. 1890 Pioneer Memorial.
9. The Kimberley Tram Depot.
10. Standard Bank.
11. Consolidated Buildings.
12. Diamond Fields Advertiser.
13. De Beers Benefit Society Building.
14. De Beers Head Office.
15. The Stables.
16. Town Talk (The Grand Hotel).
17. Griqualand West Supreme Court.
18. Executioner’s Yard.
19. The Old Transvaal Road Police Station.
20. Police Memorial.
21. Pioneer Cemetery.
22. No 9 Tapscott Street – built by George Church as a wedding gift for his son. 23. No. 22 Tapscott Street – murderess Daisy De Melker lived here when visiting her sister.
24. No. 25 Goodwin Street – built in 1900 for the chemist WH Helmore.
25. No. 19 Carr Street – built in 1897 and is a conservation worthy site.
26. Rugby House.
27. Don McHardy Memorial Fountain.
28. Victorian Railway Station.
29. Transport Museum.
30. De Beers Bridge.
31. St Alban’s Church.
32. The Vicarage.
33. Gladstone School.
34. De Beers Swimming Pool (now filled in).
35. Cecil Rhodes’ De Beers Mining Company Boardroom. (Closed)
36. Thusong Children’s Home.
37. The De Beers Mine.
38. The Constance Hall.
39. Cold Storage Building.
40. Kimberley Athletics Club Grounds.
41. Oriental Building.
Phone: 000 000 0000Admin Mail:100% Local: Yes/1