Purpose & Mission:
The Cancer Association of South Africa’s (CANSA’s) purpose is to lead the fight against cancer in South Africa by offering a unique, integrated service to the public which involves holistic cancer care and support to all people affected by cancer. It’s mission is to be the preferred non-profit leader that enables research, educates the public and provides support to all people affected by cancer.
As a leading role-player in cancer research (R6 million spent annually), the scientific findings and knowledge gained from our research are used to realign our health programmes, as well as strengthen our watchdog role to the greater benefit of the public. CANSA has more than 350 staff, 5 000 volunteers and over 50 Care Centres countrywide and is thus well placed to deliver its service to most communities in South Africa.
CANSA’s wide-reaching health programme includes screening and cancer control, a home away from home in the form of 11 CANSA Care Homes in the main metropolitan areas, plus one Hospitium, based in Polokwane, for out-of-town cancer patients undergoing cancer treatment. CANSA Care Centres and Care Clinics offer specialist care and treatment (stoma | lymphoedema | wound care | medical equipment hire), individual counselling and support groups for cancer patients and their loved ones. Furthermore, support is provided to children and their families who are affected by cancer.
The CANSA Science & Resource Centre runs a toll-free information service during office hours: 0800 22 66 22 and co-ordinates CANSA’s research projects. CANSA gives out free CancerCare Coping Kits (audio programmes) in multiple languages. Download the 2013 PPT on CANSA’s Holistic Care & Support: English | Afrikaans. See How Funding CANSA helps fight cancer
As a leading role-player in cancer research, CANSA as an organisation and in partnership with the Medical Research Council (MRC) and National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS), through the Cancer Research Initiative in South Africa (CARISA), spends more than R6 million on various types of cancer research in South Africa every year. Read more about CANSA’s Research here
CANSA’s Watchdog Role (Advocacy):
For CANSA to be more effective in its effort to control cancer and to act as a voice for the public, CANSA performs a Watchdog Role to influence South African policy makers and to create public awareness of known cancer-causing factors. Statistics show that 1 in 4 South Africans is affected by cancer in his or her lifetime. More than 100 000 South Africans are diagnosed with cancer yearly, with over 60 000 South Africans losing the battle against the disease each year. Read more about CANSA’s Watchdog Role
CANSA’s Seal of Recognition
The CANSA Seal of Recognition (CSOR) is backed by research and is awarded to products that promote a balanced lifestyle and further contribute to cancer prevention by not containing any cancer-causing substances.
Beneficiaries of CANSA’s Service & Partners:
- CANSA offers to all communities: a message of HOPE and an opportunity to get involved in the fight against cancer, by providing access to information and education.
- CANSA provides all cancer survivors and all affected by cancer: with solidarity, support and care, as well as a sense of belonging by honouring, empowering and providing a platform to spread a message of HOPE, as Champions in CANSA’s programmes and projects.
- CANSA provides volunteers: training with regards to the cancer challenge and enables them to get involved and to take ownership in the fight against cancer by sharing their resources and their talents in their own communities. CANSA relies on volunteers to assist in delivering their service to all communities, as the incidence of cancer is rising and more South Africans are needed to get actively involved in the fight against cancer.
- CANSA provides to partners: an opportunity to achieve their goals in respect of their social responsibility, thereby enhancing their image and credibility in the market through sponsorships, partnerships and publicity, as partners of CANSA. See our partners | products that help us raise funds.
- CANSA provides to staff: an opportunity for learning and growth, thereby using their talents, passions and competencies to make a difference in their communities in the fight against cancer.