Come and enjoy true Northern Cape Hospitality and discover one of South Africa’s most majestic rivers the Orange River.
The Orange River Canoe Marathon promises to be everything you dreamt of and much more for paddlers and seconds alike.
Day 1: Upington to Oranjerus – 34km
The start is at Upington Ski Club. The start will be in three batches K1, K2 & K3 depending on if it is a K1 or K2 year.
1. Stay on the right side of the river. Look for the marked channel between two red buoys 600m after start
2. after 5km the river splits in to two channels both is the same distance. In the left channel there is “Jooste
Eiland” weir you can shoot it about 5m from the right. In the right channel there is “Eerste” Rapid you can
shoot it on the right.
3. 7km – “Raaswater” – Keep left of the island at the top, aim for the left the big rock in the middle.
4. 9km – “Oukamp” Rapid, you can shoot it on the left and right depending on water level. left is the saver
5. 11km – Keep in the main stream on the left.
6. 24km – Keep in the far left stream. The river splits around Kanoneiland.
7. 24,4km – Kanoneiland Weir – Shoot the weir far left, if not enough water you can portage
8. 34km – Oranjerus – Day 1 Finish
View Green Kalahari Canoe Marathon – Day 1 (34km) in a larger map
Day 2: Ikaia, Keimoes to Die Mas, Kakamas – 39km
Day 2 start will be at Ikaia Resort just out side Keimoes on the R27 on the route to Cape Town. Elapsed time start for paddlers whit in the first 30min, there after batches starts.
1. 3.4km – Keimoes Weir – Shoot in the middle of the river.
2. 5.3km – Broken Weir – Shoot in the middle of the left stream
3. 4km – Weir – Shoot in the middle of the river
4. 1km – Die Punt Portage – Portage on the right (890m portage)
6. 1.8km – Broken Weir – Keep to River right and hit the wave train in the middle!
7. 3.4km – Warmsand Weir – Stick to River Right. Overhaning tree, beware! duck !
8. 7.2km – Neus Weir Portage – Portage on the left (300m portage)
9. 3.8km – Entrance to Neus Gorge – There will be a few guides on duty. Look at river signals. You need to hit
the rapid in the middle of the 2 rock heads at the entrance! Gee Vet !
10. 8km – Die Mas van Kakamas – Finish Day 2
View Green Kalahari Canoe Marathon – Day 2 (39km) in a larger map
Day 3: Die Mas, Kakamas to Khamkirri, Augrabies – 26km
Day 3 start will be at Die Mas, Kakamas. The start will be in three batches K1, K2 & K3 depending on if it is a K1 or K2 year.
1. 2.5km – Kakamas Bridge
2. 12.4km – Marchand Bridge
3. 2.3km – Marchand Weir – Keep to the right and portage on the right
4. 1.5km – Gawie se gat -Shoot rapid on river right,nice hole,stick to the reeds. Keep on paddling right
through the rapid
5. 1.2km – Gatsien rapid – Shoot on river left,keep an eye out for submerged rocks in the rapid and also at
the start of the rapid.
6. 4.7km – Whiskey rapid – Shoot rapid of center left,paddel really hard through the rapid,watch out for
rocks just below the surface.
7. 800m – Big eddy – Shoot on river left,paddel hard through the rapid, big boils and whirlpools at the tail
end of the rapid.
4. 600m – Khamkirri – Finish – Day 3
View Green Kalahari Canoe Marathon – Day 3 (26km) in a larger map