Experience luxurious lodging at New Rush Guesthouse in the Heart of the Old Town at the Big Hole Complex in Kimberley. Most businesses and attractions are within five minutes drive from the guest house.
Accommodation in Kimberley will never be the same again!
New Rush Guesthouse holds a 4 Star Grading with the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa.
Stay over in the Old Town at the Big Hole and experience the Diamond City as it was 100 years ago!
New Rush Guesthouse consists of 5 separate buildings in Tucker Street inside the Big Hole Complex
- The Craven Hotel - 4 rooms
- The Digger's Cottage - 2 two rooms
- The Hut - 2 rooms
- The Four C's - 4 rooms
- The "Eureka room" and the "616" Room at 5a Tucker Street
The newly refurbished units boast thirteen modern designed en-suite rooms accommodation up to 26 people sharing.
All rooms include the following
- Complimentary Tea and Coffee
- Free Wi-Fi
- Towels & bedding
- Cleaning services
8-10 TUCKER STREET: THE CRAVEN HOTEL
- Room 1: R 1250 - 1 x Queen bed + 2 x ¾ beds, 4 persons sharing
- Room 2: R 850 - 1 x Queen bed, 2 persons sharing
- Room 3: R 850 - 1 x Queen bed, 2 persons sharing
- Room 4: R 1250 - 1 x Queen bed + 2 x ¾ beds, 4 persons sharing
The original Craven Hotel stood on the corner of Old Main Road and Stockdale Street; the current location of the DBCM Consolidated Buildings of 1926
Originally owned by Harry Woodward, the Hotel was sold to WH Craven, a well-known entrepreneur of early Kimberley and later the first Company Secretary of De Beers from 1888 to 1897. He was a partner of Charles Rudd and Cecil Rhodes in various ventures in the 1870s.
The Hotel was known affectionately as The Craven Club, and was famous for being the birthplace of the Kimberley Club in 1881, as well as for the location of the formation of the original SA Rugby Board in 1892. WH Craven died at Las Palmas, USA, on 15 January 1897.
The Craven Hotel is a replica of the original constructed at the Big Hole in 2006.
6 TUCKER STREET: THE DIGGERS COTTAGE
- Room 5: R 1250 - 1 x Kingsize bed and 2 x ¾ beds in separate room, 4 persons sharing.
The rooms share a bathroom and there is a lounge area in the corner of the main bedroom.
This original “tin” house was relocated from 19 Tucker Street to the current location. The house dates back to 1878 and was owned by the Holmes family who sold it to a Mr Binyon who in turn sold it in 1913 when the Yeowart family moved in. The Yeowart family, one of whom resided here until 1973, sold the building to the Museum in 1975. The original Mr Harold Holmes of Holmes' Garage was born in the house in 1904.
The doctor in attendance at his birth was Dr EO Ashe and his surgery forms part of the displays in the Old Town. After the delivery Dr Ashe gave Holmes' father One Pound sterling to place into his newly born son's account at The Perm. (Mr Holmes' father used to service Dr Ashe's vehicle).
In 1913 Mr Yeowart purchased the house. He was an engine driver on the main skip at the Kimberley Mine headgear. After serving in World War 1, he returned to work at the Kimberley Mine where he lost his leg in an underground rock fall. Mr Yeowart was then transferred to the Guard Department and retired in that position, dying in 1951. When his wife died on 7 March 1989, she was the De Beers' Company's oldest pensioner.
- Room 6: R 850 • 1 x Queen bed, 2 persons sharing
- Room 7: R 1140 • 1 x Double bed + 1 ¾ bed, 3 persons sharing. This room includes a separate lounge with TV.
The Hut is one of the original buildings at the Big Hole. The house was built in the 1880s and used as a police station with a holding cell to the rear. Sergeant W Sadler stayed here in 1903 until he was replaced with Detective D Nelson 1907. The Borgstrom family owned the house from 1914 until the 1940s.
5 TUCKER STREET: “THE 4 C’S”
- Room 8: R 850 1 x Double bed, 2 persons sharing
- Room 9: R 850 1 x Double bed, 2 persons sharing
- Room 10: R 850 1 x Double bed, 2 persons sharing
- Room 11: R 850 1 x Double bed, 2 persons sharing
This is an original building constructed in 1903. The first resident of this house was WS Hall and George Abbott resided here from 1910 until at least 1914. Gideon and Maria Grobbelaar lived here in the 1930’s.
5a TUCKER STREET
- Eureka Room: R1 140 (Disabled Friendly Unit)
- Room 616: R850 Double Room
This original building was constructed around 1906 on the same property as Number 5 Tucker Street. The first resident was P Whibley. In the 1930s Irene Flatt was in residence.
The New Rush Guesthouse has its own private, secure covered parking inside the complex with 24-hour security.
Also available is our great function or conference facility.
Established in 1873 on the edge of the Big Hole the Australian Arms Guest House was most conveniently situated as a boarding house / Hotel for miners, diamond dealers and hawkers including those that has just popped in for a drink or two.
The location of The Australian Arms Guest House, now recently revamped and called The New Rush Guesthouse, is today still relevant and ideal for visitors to the Diamond City with most businesses and attractions within five minutes’ drive from the guest house.
- 100% Refund: Bookings cancelled 30 or more days prior to arrival
- 50% Refund: Bookings cancelled 15 or more days prior to arrival
- 25% Refund: Bookings cancelled 7 or more days prior to arrival
- 0% Refund: Bookings cancelled 6 or more days prior to arrival.
Any reduction in the length of stay will result in cancellation fees being applicable. Other amendments to your reservation are subject to availability.
Admin Mail:Tourism Grading: 4 StarAA Grading: -Braai Facilities: YesWIFI Internet: YesWheelchair Friendly: YesBreakfast: YesRoom Rate Low: R850Room Rate High: R1250100% Local: YesPremium Company: YesService Excellence Promise: -Local Grading: -